Why Shaker Style Kitchen Cabinets Never Go Out of Style
For anyone updating their kitchen space or creating an entirely new one, the focus is always on the cabinets. After all, the cabinets are the focal point which bring the entire kitchen together into one cohesive look. Whether you are going modern, traditional, bohemian, contemporary or industrial, the kitchen cabinets help balance the space, incorporating your unique aesthetic. Trends come and go, but your kitchen cabinets should be here to stay. If you want an up to date yet conventional look that will stand the test of time, look no further than the Shaker style cabinet, and our Luna style cabinet for an even more modern take on the traditional.
What are shaker style cabinets?
Shaker cabinets are known for their distinctive boxed shape. The cabinet is rectangular, with a smaller, rectangular box recessed within it, giving the appearance of a rectangular cabinet frame with another, smaller rectangle inside it. Shaker cabinets are known for their timeless and minimalist design.
Shaker cabinets get their name from the Shakers, a religious group that had formed and was in its height in the mid-19th century. The group became renowned for their high-quality furniture they would meticulously handcraft. They were careful to craft furniture and cabinets that looked beautiful and understated in its simplicity, since they believed that any embellishments were seen as dishonest to their beliefs.
The handmade precision the Shakers put into every one of their designs remain true today, even though machinery has taken over the construction process. Crafted with only the best materials and precise crafting techniques, it is no wonder modern day Shaker cabinets have remained a kitchen staple.
Shaker vs. flat panel cabinets: What’s the difference?
Also known as slab cabinets, flat cabinets have a completely flat front, as featured in our Illume frameless cabinetry line. In contrast, Shaker cabinets have their customary trim or frame which creates the recessed inner rectangular design. While flat panel or frameless cabinets offer a modern aesthetic, Shaker has always been considered the long-standing traditional choice that will never go out of style.
Shaker cabinets can have a more versatile look with hardware and design options, while flat panel or frameless cabinets are geared toward a modern and understated kitchen appeal. This means limited hardware and design options. Your unique taste and lifestyle will help you decide which cabinet style is right for you!
Shaker: The Pros and Cons
Shaker cabinets are known for their simple and straightforward design. Keeping with the traditional Shaker ideology, limited material is used with light stains and natural finishes, as well as basic hardware. Nowadays, designers have moved away from this traditional minimalism to incorporate pops of modern appeal in Shaker cabinet design.
Trouble deciding if Shaker cabinets are a good fit for your kitchen? Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
1) Long lasting appeal- to put it simply, Shaker cabinets are built to last. Made the with the highest quality material possible, they are strong, sturdy, and extremely durable.
2) Many design options- Shaker style cabinets have been around for centuries for a reason- there are many design options for different kitchen styles.
· Traditional- keeping with the simplistic Shaker design, simple hardware is used to highlight this straightforward cabinet.
· Transitional- adding finishes to alter the wood texture and combining dark and light tones can give a transitional appeal.
· Modern- having modern countertops, flooring, and finishes can lend a modern take to the traditional cabinet without changing the cabinet itself.
3) Improve your property’s value- with the kitchen being the number one room buyers look at when deciding to buy a home, it is vital to appeal to as many buyers as possible. Kitchen value is largely based on the cabinets, and with Shaker being timeless and trend-proof, it is the best option for the ultimate ROI.
1) Cleaning may be a chore- because of the grooves and inset paneling characteristic to Shaker style cabinet doors, dust could easily gather in the recessed panels. For a clean and sleek cabinet, it is important to maintain the upkeep of the cabinet with regular maintenance.
2) Minimalist design- because Shaker has such a simplistic design, it may not appeal to all. If your kitchen has intricate designs and finishes, Shaker cabinets may not fit aesthetically. For a truly modern kitchen, slab style doors would be a better fit.
A fresh take on the traditional
Fabuwood’s Luna style cabinet are the embodiment of the perfected Shaker style cabinet. With smooth, modern lines, Luna takes the best of the traditional Shaker style and incorporates modern characteristics, to create an all-new Shaker style. Featuring Dovetail construction and Blum’s Compact Clip Hinges, Luna incorporates modern technology to make Shaker doors all our own. For those wanting a traditional style with a modern twist, Our Luna cabinetry line would be a great option. Fabuwood also offers two traditional Shaker style options: Galaxy and Discovery, both lending the best of Shaker cabinets with customizable color options.
Styled to perfection
If you’re looking for an updated take on conventional Shaker cabinets, there are several ways to enhance the usually traditional look.
1) Incorporate white Shaker cabinets- white kitchen cabinets will never go out of style. Light, bright, and airy, they immediately make the room look more spacious.
2) Enhance the minimalism- pair traditional Shaker cabinets with floating shelves or open shelving in a contrasting finish for an eye-catching, minimalist look.
3) Use up-to-date modern hardware- although using anything other than wood for door handles has been traditionally frowned upon by Shakers, modern kitchen designs incorporate eye-catching metal finishes for a fresh look. Round knobs, cups, or simple pulls in metallic materials are all options that give that modern pop to the traditional.
4) Try two tone- alternate uppers and lower Shaker cabinet doors are an easy and modern way to update your kitchen. Try for darker colors on the bottom with lighter colors for upper cabinets for optimal appeal.
5) Bold colors- using bold colors will immediately modernize a Shaker kitchen. Using our Custom Colors Program, your color dreams can instantly become a reality! Using any bold color will transform Shaker cabinets into a contemporary and fresh style with the swipe of the brush.
Will shaker cabinets go out of style?
To put it simply…no. Shaker cabinets have been a large part of kitchen design for centuries for a reason! Historically made of easily found and sturdy wood such as Cherry wood, Oak, Birch, Pine, and Maple, Shaker style cabinets are made to last a lifetime with regular upkeep. No matter if you choose a modern twist or stick with the traditional Shaker look, Shaker kitchen cabinets are a great option for a beautifully charming, long-lasting look.
Whether you are going for a traditional, transitional, or a modern approach, Shaker style kitchen cabinets can incorporate a wide range of styles with up-to-date bright colors, unique pulls and hardware. From vintage to retro, classic and industrial, Shaker cabinets can be made all your own with a quick addition of unique hardware or fresh paint color. Shaker’s versatility yet timeless characteristics make them a one-of-a-kind kitchen cabinet that you can easily make all your own.